Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Movie Review


Anyone seen The Iron Lady?  It’s that movie with Meryl Streep about Margaret Thatcher.  I think it got poor to mediocre reviews.  I don’t know why.  Maybe because Thatcher made a pretty good case for courage and hard work vs. passivism and entitlement, which are all the rage right now (Sorry, Chen Guangcheng, we don’t want to offend China; Europeans, you take your 6-weeks-paid vacation every year, consequences be darned).  Her dementia and the price her family paid for her to be a politician broke my heart.  It ain’t easy for a woman to have a family and career (I wouldn’t know first hand, having given up on a career after I practically flunked organic chemistry…).  What I really loved was how sexism was no match for her confidence and her voice coach. It was a pretty clean flick, except for a brief scene when some grateful Falkland ladies flashed their bare bosoms at the British soldiers.

No comments: