Thursday, May 24, 2012

and the farmers take all

I teach CTR 6 & 7 in primary.  Last week's lesson was "The Priesthood Blesses Me."  The first comment (that pertained to the lesson) was, "Why don't girls get to hold the priesthood?"

"We get to be mothers and bring life into the world."

"And that hurts!  Boys are lucky."

I don't think I knew about the pain of childbirth when I was 6. "Yeah, but holding the priesthood is hard work, too.  When I was a kid, my dad was the bishop, and every Sunday he spent all day in meetings while me and my brother moved the sprinklers and fed the cows..."  I meant to explain that one was not better than the other, how the purpose of motherhood and the priesthood is to teach us selfless service and make us more like Christ, and how a few hours of pain are probably not any worse than five years in the bishopric.  When I was done with my lecture, I got blank stares and,

"I want to live on a farm."

So much for inspiring the next generation of mothers in Zion.

3 comments:

LD said...

You still made headway if you got them wishing they lived on a farm. The world needs more of farm anything. I'm thoroughly enjoying your daily posts!

Cami Checketts said...

Too funny! I love primary.

lissyfarnz said...

Love your posts, Charlotte! They always make me smile. Hope you're doing well!