Thursday, May 31, 2012

Good-bye, Peas. Hello, Neighbor


Look at those peas (the ones in the squarish peat pots on the front right). They were my last hope.


I put them in the garden.  I used taller toilet paper collars than last time, but to no avail.  The universe is against me.  I don’t know what ate them this time.  Deer?  Geese? (The tomatoes you see in back are doing great.  It it weren't for them, I might give up on gardening forever.)

I went to Home Depot with a broken heart (I really love peas from the garden) and bought plants to replace them: cucumber, sweet red pepper, and basil.  One of the basil plants I grew from seed got eaten a few weeks ago (I think by a goose: there was goose poop in the garden), so I was worried.  I got up at 2:30 a.m., took a flashlight, and armed myself with cayenne pepper.

"Are you looking for something?"

My neighbor across the street was in his driveway talking on his cell phone.  Odd.  "Yeah, the animal that keeps eating my garden."  This is the first time I've ever talked to him.

"You have a garden in your front yard?"  Like he hadn't noticed before.

 So what.  He had a used car lot in his driveway a few months ago.  And he conducts business there at 2:30 a.m.  I sprinkled cayenne pepper on the basil.  "Well, they haven't eaten anything yet tonight," I said.  I went back to bed, he went back to his phone call.  Nice to have met ya, buddy.

2 comments:

Misty said...

Chicken wire and more chicken wire - anything bigger will not keep out the rabbits. And then one night when you have a late freeze and you throw a blanket over the 5 early tomato plants you started indoors and babied for months, you will come out in the morning to find three of them replaced by piles of green field mice poo. I am now firmly in the camp of Elmer Fudd!

Charlotte said...

Misty! You understand the frustration! I feel comforted. I thought I was the only gardener struggling with disappointment.