Monday, September 16, 2013

time travel

The kids went back to school the day after Labor Day.
Is Anne taller than Claire?  Probably, but I'm avoiding having that officially confirmed just yet.  I slip in comments once in a while about my Aunt Annette being younger than and taller than Grandma Becca, my brother Justin being taller than and younger than Lex, and Lynsey being just as tall as me but 4 years younger--trying to brace Claire for the inevitable, while not making a big deal out of her doctor appointments to have her growth (or lack thereof) checked.

A few days prior we were winding up our road trip out West.  On our way home we stopped in Nauvoo, Illinois.

The temple was rebuilt to be as close to the original in size and location as possible.  I can't get over how the early Saints built the original in only a few years, continuing to work on it even as they prepared to leave.
 Here's a replica of a ferry the Saints would have taken to cross the Mississippi River during the exodus.  Poor Julia looks like she is dying of heat exhaustion.  It was crazy hot and humid while we were there.
 Kids in front of Joseph and Hyrum statues in front of the temple.

 Random family at the Mississippi River where the Saints began their exodus, starting February of 1846.
 Here's Carthage Jail, where Joseph and Hyrum Smith were killed.


I'm so glad Jake wanted to see Nauvoo.  I didn't think we'd be able to handle it (looooong road trip+new baby=frazzled exhausted parents who need to go home), but now I'm so glad we went. Those early Saints were extraordinary, and the senior missionary couples who run the site are wonderful.  I left feeling spiritually uplifted, which is peculiar if you think about it--it would be natural to feel bitter and angry about how the Saints were forced to leave in the middle of winter.  I give it 5 out of 5 stars.  Be sure to go if you ever get the chance. Oh, and did I mention everything (and there's a lot) run by the LDS Church is free?  The Community of Christ Church also gives tours, and I think they only charge a few dollars, but we were pressed for time and are all about free, so we didn't do that.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow (or the next day) as we continue our journey backwards through time and show pictures of our stay in Utah and Idaho!

1 comment:

LL said...

it's been 6 or 7 years since we visited that place...this makes me think it's time to go back!