Friday, September 20, 2013

The Trek West: Part 2

I'm counting on my pioneer ancestors to have good senses of humor--I'd hate for them to read my last post and despise me for describing a cross-country trip in an air-conditioned minivan as something difficult.  Of course, they probably have better things to do than follow my blog, so I won't worry about it anymore.

Here's my grandma with Julia.  (These pics are all in Malad, ID.)

We got Claire baptized!  We've been worried about this day for about a year.  Claire's not into submersion.  But, my mom did her hair all cute, and then with the dress on (same one I wore when I was 8!) Claire was entranced.  Seriously.  She couldn't stop talking about how gorgeous she was and how excited she was for all the people at her baptism to see her looking like a beautiful princess.  Gulp.  I purposely invited almost no one because I didn't want her to feel too humiliated if she wasn't able to go through with it in the end.  But she did it!  Hyperventilated all the way into the font, but she did it!
 Sibs and cousins.


 All the Firth grandkids at the time, except Eli who had just barely been born in Pullman, WA.

The kids riding Yogi.



 My mom and Julia.
Random snippets:

The day after her baptism, Claire saw a necklace my mom was wearing and said.  "Uh-oh, I'm not perfect anymore.  I just coveted."  Anne liked the necklace, too, but they both coveted it less when they found out it wasn't a locket.  It just looked like one.  (Note to self: lockets would make good stocking stuffers this year.)

Anne, regarding the Cache Valley Mall play area:  "This place in permanent to my heart.  When can we move back to Logan?"  (If you're familiar with this particular play area, you might be surprised it could have such a hold on anyone.  I certainly was.)

Damon with BB gun in hand:  "Is it cruel to shoot grasshoppers while they're mating?"
Jake, in an aside to my dad: "Well, I know I wouldn't like it."
My dad: "All's fair in love and war."

At Family Home Evening Claire gave us lecture on healthy foods.  Special thanks to Justin, Lex, and Grandpa for the perpetual questions that stretched this lesson to a record 30 minutes.

3 comments:

LD said...

Oh this and the last post have me laughing. Good record keeping.

LL said...

LOVED every word of this!

KFoxL said...

Julia is beautiful. The B-day is coming up for us next month. I'm very scared. Good job Claire!