Friday, March 22, 2013

darn groundhog

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but we've still got snow on the ground in ours.  It's ruining Claire's life (her words, not mine).  Every morning since the First Day of Spring that she wakes up and sees snow, she cries.  This should be rain, not snow! she says.  I tried to teach her the AA prayer this morning (change what can be changed, accept what can't, wisdom to know the difference).  "Mom, you know I can't understand what that means, and I don't want you to explain it to me!"

The other kids are accepting the weather more gracefully.  Damon is so engrossed in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix he hardly notices.  Anne is in love with the beautiful Easter decor and spring colors she sees at the stores.  "Mom, we need more Easter decorations."  I hate that kind of stuff.  I don't hate seeing it, just putting it up.  I also like eating good food, but hate making it.  I'm reminded of Lady Bertram in Mansfield Park, whose wealth and station in life was perfectly suited to her lazy nature.  Except I'm not wealthy, so...

1 comment:

Robin V said...

I feel your pain re decorations. It took me forever to take down our Christmas decorations (which are about the only decorations that ever come out in our home). I decided I could get away with leaving the snowman collection up, since it was still winter. Now that the calendar has declared spring's arrival, maybe it's time to put the snowmen away, too - and yet, there is still snow on the ground; can I procrastinate a bit longer?