Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Picture Day

It's the most terrible day of the year, starting with deciding what to wear, followed by getting the kids to wear it.

"Anne, you can't wear that, it doesn't match.  Anne, you can't wear that, it doesn't match.  Anne, just put on the clothes I picked out.  Anne, you can't wear that, it doesn't match."

"Mom," says Claire, "I'm going to wear this," pointing to the old brown butterfly hoodie she's wearing with the different-shade-of-brown-that-doesn't-match leggings.

"No, you'll have to wear something I've picked out."

"No!  It doesn't matter what you look like, it only matters how you act!"

"You're right.  How you act is what's important.  But I'm not paying $75 for these pictures for us to look like homeless people...you just have to wear what I say on family picture day.  When you're the mom, you can pick out the clothes."

By the time we've got to go, I'm so worn down I let Anne wear the fuchsia headband that doesn't have a thing to do with the clothes she has on except clash. 

Then we get to the park where the photographer is waiting.  She tells Damon, "Put your arms on your sisters' shoulders." 

He does.  While she snaps pictures, he says, "This is weird.  I don't like this.  This is weird.  I'm not doing it."  And he puts his arms down.

Meanwhile, Anne gives the camera her favorite smile, the one where she sticks her chin out and hides her teeth and upper lip with her bottom lip.  Think old woman smiling with her dentures out.  She also tries to sneak her latest Goodwill Beanie Baby find into every picture.  Again, I'm too worn down to do anything about it.  Luckily Kasey the photographer is able to get it from her about half the time. 

I can't wait to get these pictures back.


1 comment:

Robin V said...

Charlotte, I do love reading your blog. Thanks for making me smile.