Wednesday, November 7, 2012

looking for the positive

"We are blessed with so very much. And yet it is sometimes difficult to view the problems and permissiveness around us and not become discouraged. I have found that, rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness."  ~Pres. Thomas S. Monson

I'm not even going to comment on the election, except to say I can't comprehend it and Jake was right and I was wrong.

So.  Claire needs a little help in the classroom.  Her teacher doesn't deny this.  Last year, we were able to help her succeed with ABA therapy in the classroom (our private therapist provided the therapy.  The school provided their permission for the therapist to be there after many unpleasant meetings).  I called her teacher yesterday, asking if she would let me come in for about an hour every morning to get Claire re-trained. I told her that when Claire didn't need me, I'd be happy to do whatever she wanted me to do. The woman has 26 kids in her class.  I was sure she'd jump at the chance to have free help.   Alas.  First she has to talk it over with the principal.  Which means we'll probably be back to the ugly meetings, where I try to convince them that I know my child and that I know what works.  Why they are so against parents being involved in helping a child succeed is beyond me.  It makes me want to scream.

Heavenly Father has helped us in the past, and I'm sure He will help us again.  I've got to remember that.  It shouldn't be so easy to forget.

2 comments:

Barker Family said...

I hear you on the school thing. The school that we are in is pretty good now because they know that I am just going to do it. I email my oldest teacher, resource teacher, and speech teacher all the time to see how she is doing. They know that if I don't hear from them then they are going to see me. Her resource teacher however is so good. She is so helpful (Finally got a good resource teacher). Good luck with everything. Its sad but you are your kids only advocate. You have to do what is best for her even if that means you fight the school. GOOD LUCK!!!

KFoxL said...

It is both depressing and comforting to hear that other school districts are as bad as mine. That trying to help your child is like trying to infiltrate the mafia.
Misery loves company, I guess.
Good luck.