Friday, November 9, 2012

holding my breath

Claire's teacher (whom I really like and who is a very good teacher) talked with the special ed teacher and got some ideas.  She suggested continuing on with the goal sheets I had been sending to school, adding a few more specific goals, and then asked about using a sand timer.  She would present it as a game and tell Claire to see if she could complete x amount of math problems before the timer ran out.  I told her that in the past timers hadn't been very effective (in the classroom, anyway.  At home with her tutor, timers worked pretty well.)  However, she was welcome to try it.  (I'm anxious for her to try anything so I can avoid another meeting with the principal.)  She tried it, and it was a success!  Claire came home so proud of her math worksheet (which was totally finished) and how she'd beaten the timer three times!

Oh, how I hope the timer keeps working.  It would save me so much time and heartache.  And I could focus on play dates for Claire (she spends almost all recess by herself and has said she wants to make new friends).  And maybe I could paint this dark wood paneling and hang the curtains I bought to replace these disgusting vertical blinds and...

2 comments:

alison said...

Hang in there, Charlotte! You're doing awesome!! The principal & the teacher are obviously being stubborn (to put it nicely). You are Claire's best advocate, and they should recognize that and welcome any and all help you're willing to give. Sheesh!! ;)

Phoebe said...

Red tape can be so maddening! I am glad that Claire's teacher seems to be trying to come up with solutions. You are doing a great job!