Thursday, February 27, 2014

Homemade Deodorant Winner

Here it is--a deodorant recipe that lasts 12+ hours (on a good, less-stress-than-some day):

Baking soda
Corn starch or arrowroot powder
Coconut oil
Lavender essential oil
Patchouli essential oil (I ordered this one for my anti-wrinkle face lotion I'm experimenting with.  I decided to toss it in the deod because some people say it has antimicrobial properties and adds depth to whatever fragrance you mix it with.  It has a very strong smell, so I only added a few drops.  The deod smells like lavender, which isn't as good as, say, Dove Cool Essentials, but it's growing on me.)

It's very melty.  As soon as it touches my armpit it's dripping all over.  But, I've decided it's worth it.  It doesn't stain as long as I don't put on too much.  And at my Grandad's funeral I was reminded why I'd started experimenting with homemade stuff to begin with: I wore commercial antiperspirant in Colorado not wanting to risk B.O. at such an important occasion; in the shower, when I was washing my armpits, there was that antiperspirant film that's almost impossible to wash off.  I hate it.  So, sorry everyone.  I would rather risk offending you with my body odor than feel un-slippery armpits when I'm in the shower. 

3 comments:

KFoxL said...

Is that "stress-less" as in you stress LESS than you normally would? Or "stress less" as in a day without stress? If option B, please write a post about that.

Charlotte said...

Option A. I think the last time I had a stress free day was in 2004.

cat said...

Ah yes, as Grant would say, your natural deo works great as long as you sit still in a cool room wearing a loose shirt all day. Well done, Charlotte! Your persistence has paid off.