Tuesday, January 15, 2013

what's going on

Damon is into coin collecting.  If you have any wheat pennies or mercury dimes you're not attached to, send them his way.  He (and I) would really like a metal detector so we could search for old coins.  Jake says no way--we're not going to waste what little vacation we have coin hunting.  He and Damon had just watched a youtube video about some guy who spent 3 days with a metal detector in someone's back yard.  He found a dime worth $10.  "But some people make a living off of it!" Damon said.  Jake was unmoved.  I don't know how he can stand being so practical.  It's a real drag having your feet so firmly on the ground.

Claire had a great day yesterday at school.  "In gym I thought it was the best day of my life.  We played hockey.  Haley D, Haley F and [some other little girl, can't remember her name now] were on my team, and we made a plan--not to cheat, to win...I don't remember if we won or lost, but it was so fun because of the girls on my team and our plan."  This is a breakthrough, people.  She's never enjoyed a game in her life unless it was a make-believe game she made up herself.  I wish I could have seen it.  But she might have been pacing and flapping and repeating "not to cheat, to win" over and over, so it's maybe best I didn't.  Then for dinner I made green chile enchiladas, the most disgusting abomination to ever come out of an oven--just ask my kids.  And Claire's day was totally ruined.  She cried and lamented until bedtime.

Anne started tennis lessons at the YMCA.  Can your almost-6-year-old bounce a ball and catch it?  Mine can't.  How about focus on tennis for a whole hour?  Mine can't.  Either we've really neglected her physical development, or she's not the athlete we hoped she was.  Well, she's having fun, and now we have something special just she and I do together (namely, practice tennis), so I guess it's worth it.

No comments: