Thursday, January 10, 2013

the home school debate

I think about home schooling every day now that Christmas break is over.  I felt so sad sending the kids back to school.  Of course, during the times they were all home and fighting like cats and dogs, I wished they were in school again.  But, they are my kids, and it seems wrong to have people I hardly know taking charge of most of their waking hours.  Then again, I really liked school and would hate for them to miss out on the friendships and the good teachers that are out there.  On the other hand, the world is a different place than it was when I was growing up.  Sure, there was the kid in 7th grade who wouldn't stop slapping my behind until I kicked him in the shins so hard he thought I was going to kill him.  But now I read such horrific stories in the newspaper ABOUT KINDERGARTNERS I can't even repeat them.  I want to vomit every time I think about the story I read the other week about an elementary school a few miles south of here.  There are some pretty crummy parents out there, and it seems a crime for my children to have to interact with their disturbed children.  Yeah, yeah, Scottfunkel: someday my kids will be on their own and if they haven't learned to deal with the miscreants with my help, how will they know what to do when I'm not around.  That argument doesn't comfort me lately.  And if you'd read what I'd read, it wouldn't comfort you, either.  Every day in my prayers I plead, "Don't take them out of the world, but keep them from the evil."  Messed up kids aside, though, I don't know that I could handle being my kids' teacher.  I couldn't be one of those home school moms who let their child decide what to learn all the time.  I'd have to have a curriculum, and I'd have to test my kids periodically to make sure they were holding their own with their peers.  But what curriculum would I use?  When I google home school curriculum, I get a bunch of religious stuff developed by women who don't even have math or science degrees.  That doesn't impress me much.  And BYU only has middle and high school courses.  On top of not knowing what to teach, I'm afraid I'd be a pretty ornery teacher, and ornery teachers don't really inspire a love of learning.  Could someone just tell me what to do?!  Heaven, give me a sign!  But not a sign that involves one of my kids having to deal with a 5-yr-old criminal, please.

2 comments:

alison said...

Charlotte,
When I was contemplating homeschooling, I took my time thinking about it. I checked out books from the library, read blogs by homeschoolers & then eventually talked to my homeschooling friends. I took the summer to mull over the idea, pray about it, and then finally Clint & I knew it was right for our family to take the leap of faith. Whatever your decision ends up being, don't feel rushed or pressured. Expect Heaven's help; you'll get it.
As far as curriculum is concerned, there is so very much available. I would google homeschooling in Michigan to see if you have any homeschool charters available to you, or what homeschool law is in general. It varies widely state-to-state. In some states, you can access public schools for things like testing, special ed, even sending them just for sports, enrichments, etc. In other states, there are charter schools set up that will provide you with curriculum (some - like the one we're using - offer a wide range of choice in this area), special ed, sports, testing, etc. Even if you go it privately, there are so many people who homeschool now that there is no reason your children should ever feel isolated or like they are "missing out." For example, my 3 oldest are currently at a science day camp in the mountains with about 20 other homeschoolers.
You can purchase any curriculum you want... the stuff your local school is using or anything you can imagine. This is one of the strengths of homeschooling; being able to tailor learning for each of your children.
Sorry for such a long comment, and yet there's so much more I could tell you if you'd like specifics (books, curriculum, blogs, etc.) My email is: firth family at yahoo dot com :)
Best wishes with your choice!!

LL said...

There was a time when I thought home school was something weird people did....
My thinking has SO changed!
the world is scary. and they're so little and innocent.
It's tough.