Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fancy Nancy


This is Fancy Nancy.  She loves all things fancy and all things French.  Anne hates her. She tells me that every time she has me read a Fancy Nancy book to her.  Claire told me today (I don't know what prompted this--we weren't talking about Fancy Nancy or anyone we hated) that if you hate someone because they have something you really want, it's called jealousy. 

Last week, Anne told me she wanted to learn to speak French.  Damon immediately said, "I don't want to learn to speak French.  No one speaks French except people who want to be fancy."

That's probably true.  Unless French is your native language...

BUT, any time a kid wants to learn something, you should jump on it, according to my superhuman friends who home school.  And Jake has some French language courses from when he worked at PowerGlide in Provo, so I dug them out and we're off.  We've mastered "Parlay voo onglay?" and "oui" (pronounced 'we'--it means yes) in only three days.  I think we're off to a good start.

1 comment:

LD said...

I've only read one fancy nancy book and I wasn't impressed, she was cutting her own hair! What are we teaching young children!

Maybe Anne was going to eat her bear after it died?? Either way she is pretty daring to move out on her own. Love the updates.