Monday, January 23, 2012

progress update

“You forget what you want to remember, and you remember what you want to forget.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Road
That's a great book. You should read it, if you're not easily depressed/frightened out of your wits. It'll motivate you to get your 1 year supply of food, as well as buy guns, ammunition, and build a secret underground bomb shelter in your back yard.
Before I forget, I want to record what an excellent job Steve at Redwood Learning Center did (and is doing) helping Claire. He's the one who trained our Utah tutors, provided us with teaching programs, and is still supporting us via email and telephone now that we've moved.
When we first met Steve, Claire couldn't/wouldn't say hello to people (even her own father). She cried/screamed/held up her hand/turned her face away/all of the above. At kindergarten recess she would pace and do other self-stimulatory behaviors around the playground without ever going near other kids. There were other unpleasant behaviors, but I don't want to go on all day. Now, 16 months later, she can say hello and respond appropriately to questions like, "How are you?" She plays on the playground, and even plays with other kids. As I type she's playing dress-up downstairs with one of her school friends and her tutor JT. She sounds like a typical child, except her speech is still a little odd sometimes. And her cute little friend really likes her and was excited to come over and play! I could cry for joy because of that.
Claire no longer qualifies for services through the school district. Part of that is because she's repeating kindergarten, but that is also because of the therapy program Steve set up for her. I don't know if she will have an IEP in the future (her fine and gross motor skills are still a little behind), but for now it's wonderful.
Steve introduced us to the Superflex program which helps Claire understand how to behave in public, and how to overcome "rockbrain" thinking (for example: one night Claire was in the bathtub while Damon took a shower in a different bathroom. He got done before her and had his pajamas on while she was still in the bath. C: Is Damon out? Me: Yes. C: No! Make him get back in! I'm not getting out unless he's back in the shower! Me: No, he's not getting back in. You need to use your superflex powers and let things happen in a different order. [she still threw a fit, but she is slowly getting better at accepting life when it doesn't go her way. Bad example of success, good example of rockbrain thinking.])
We still have things to work on, but Claire is doing so well. We have Steve to thank for that, and Heaven for guiding us to Steve.

6 comments:

DocMisty said...

So glad to hear about Claire's progress!! You're such a great mom. Miss you guys :-)

Jamie said...

I am way out of the blogging loop. Sad to hear you moved to Michigan--I'll have to consult my map to see where exactly that is in comparison to Canada and New England. I'm glad you made the leap to buying a house and hope it means you won't have to sell it in a few years and if you do that the market will have picked up amazingly.
P.S. Don't look at my blog because it hasn't changed and won't for maybe a few more weeks.
P.P.S Am pregnant--no it wasn't an accident. Are you too and is that what 3+ kids means?

Karina said...

Kay. We ARE sisters! Can't believe you quoted The Road. It has been several years since I read it, but I regularly nightmare about that book, and I am anti-gun, but I almost went out and bought an arsenal. Also does wonders for lighting a fire under one's bum for food storage.
Your little Claire sounds like she is doing amazing. I want to know more about this Steve person. Do you think we could do lunch sometime? Maybe meet at Maddox? Like a blind date? Wait--why did one of your commentators say you live in Michigan? Why did I think you lived in logan?

Karina said...

P.S.: Can you find me on Facebook? Karina Landward.

Wendi said...

Glad to hear of Claire's progress! We sure love you guys! I admire your mothering skills!

cat said...

What, you're pregnant??? Aw, I could cry for joy, too! Love you, Claire. So glad she's making such great progress. Charlotte, it's such a treat when I haven't seen your blog for awhile and then get to read several posts. You make me laugh so hard!