Monday, May 4, 2015

non-traditonal multiplication cards

One of my kids can't memorize multiplication facts the old-fashioned way.  Doesn't matter how many times we go through the flash cards, after 24 hours the facts are gone from the brain, leading to frustration all around.

We tried Right Brain Multiplication Cards from Diane Craft.  I'll give her this: it's a good idea.  I'll give you this: if your kid has this same problem, have the kid make up their own cards.  Trust me, his/her drawings will be just as good.  If he/she/you is/are an artist, they'll be much better.  Or do what we did, and don't make cards; just make up stories.

We like Harry Potter here, so I assigned every number a Harry Potter character.  For example: 7 is Ginny Weasley, 4 is Dumbledore, and 9 is Hermione.  The story that goes with 7 x 7 = 49 is this: Ginny said to herself, "Dumbledore must like Hermione more than me.  That's why he left her a book in his will.  He didn't leave me anything!"  Don't worry what morals your stories teach.  The objective is to get the facts memorized, and this works for my kid.   There.  I just saved you $35.

July 2015 update: never mind.  This idea doesn't stick much better than anything else.  I want to give up.

No comments: