Friday, February 27, 2015

The $4 Jar Light

I didn't like the light over the kitchen table.  If you have time to kill, you can see it here when the video gets to "Open Kitchen with blah blah blah".  I forgot to take my own before picture but it was

Frosted glass
trimmed with brass
and now I'd better stop rhyming.

So I spray painted it with oil-rubbed bronze paint (which is what I did to every brass thing in our MI house, and which is why it sold in a week.  That, or we listed it for $10,000 less than what we should have.).  This time the spray paint failed me.  The light wasn't any prettier, and now it was also much less functional because I painted the glass along with the brass.  Alas, I forgot to take a picture again, but it was

Dark
like the far side of the moon,
The kitchen transformed
into interrogation room.

Then I found a $4 jar at Walt-Mart, and one of Julia's naps later our light looked like this:

The kids think it's stupid, but I'm proud of it.  It's functional, anyway.  And best of all, it still inspires bad poetry:

Home made Jar Light,
Twinkling like Star Light,
The children think you mar light
and call your design lunacy.
Their opinions don't matter:
The kitchen is not a democracy.

4 comments:

germanjules said...

Did you cut the bottom off like in this experiment: http://eveofreduction.com/upcycled-mason-jar-2-craft-projects-in-1/

Charlotte said...

No. The jar came with a screw-on lid. I cut a hole in the lid so the ceramic thing the light bulb screws into would fit through and glued the lid to the light fixture (it happened to fit right inside) with silicone caulk (it works at temperatures up to 400 degrees). Then I could just screw the jar into its original lid. It's simple but hard to explain. Next time you're in KS, drop by and I'll show you ;)

LD said...

I love the light! But not as much as your rhymes.

Kiersten said...

I love the light! Well done.