Monday, January 12, 2015

Los Niños


Damon: enjoys chess club at school and went to his first chess tournament on Saturday.  6 rounds, he won 2 and had 1 stalemate.  Parents and coaches (yes, there are chess coaches. It was like that movie, Searching for Bobby Fisher) were not allowed in the room to watch.  Currently pondering ways to put lethal radiation from spent uranium rods to good use.  Also wants to invest money in natural gas.  I hope I can figure out how to buy some shares today--his heart is set on it.

Claire: enjoys drama club, and spends indoor recesses (when it's too cold to go outside) working on making a movie with her friends.  Tells me she's a really good actor.  Has a pet betta fish named Rainbow.  (I now believe betta fish are the best kind of pet to have, if your child must have a pet.)

Anne: A great help, especially when she pretends to be a dog and chases Julia/gets chased by Julia.  This allows me to make dinner, do dishes, etc, without Julia's "help."  Got an easy-bake oven for Christmas and has used it twice.  I got one when I was a kid, and I only remember using it once.  Alternates between hating piano one week and wanting to quit, and practicing hard the next week and not complaining.  Begs to tend Julia during sacrament meeting.  Jake doesn't think this is good, but I love it.  I can sit quietly and enjoy the meeting while Julia and Anne go out in the hall.

Julia: Just about 18 months old and says mama, dada, hi, bubbles, moo, and possibly dah for dog.  Likes to jump, do little tap dances while turning in circles, have books read to her (if they're low on words and high on pictures), scribble with markers (and sometimes suck on them), scribble with crayons (and then eat them) and watch TV.  If only the show could hold her attention for more than 10 minutes!  All you moms who don't let your babies watch TV, pat yourselves on the back and give each other high fives.  You're awesome.  Or something.  Is the most smiley, pleasant child you've ever met, particularly when she is getting her way.  Has just started throwing tantrums when I won't let her have things like the video camera.  She and I are in love with those baby food pouches.  They are an expensive habit, but so convenient and clean I want to kiss whoever thought them up.  Has started the dreadful habit of waking up at 2 or 4 a.m. and not going back to sleep unless it's with me on the couch.  I would love to let her cry it out, but she wakes up Claire, and Claire comes and gets me out of bed.  And then Claire, who is chronically sleep deficient anyway, doesn't always go back to sleep.  Yawn.

2 comments:

LD said...

Loved the update. Damon surpassed my IQ years ago. Claire should be in drama club!! That is perfect for her. Anne has figured out how to get out of sacrament meetings at an early age, she is brilliant. I can't believe Julia is just starting tantrums. Met has her beat by months on that one.

And yes, grandpa was a good man.

Robin V said...

I'm so happy, sitting here eating soup (it is so cold outside) and reading your blog. Thanks for the recent updates!