Tuesday, January 20, 2015

18 mo check up

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but back when Julia was 6 or 9 months old, her Michigan pediatrician recommended she have physical therapy because she wasn't into rolling or crawling.  I reluctantly complied, and regretted it, because in no time she was getting into things she didn't used to be able to get into.  At her 12 month check up, he recommended she be re-evaluated at 15 months, because she was borderline on needing intervention.  Then we moved, and I didn't get that 15 month check up because I had other things to worry about, and I refused to worry about the most delightful child on the planet.

So.  The Juje had her 18 month check up yesterday with her new Kansas doctor.  Here's how it went, starting with me, Juje, and the nurse alone in the room.

Nurse: Is she saying 15-20 words?

Me: No, we're a little worried about that.  She's more around 5 or 6.

Nurse: Can she point to 3 body parts?

Me: No, she only points to 1.

Nurse: Does she make animal sounds?

Me: Yeah, she moos.  [In my head I'm thinking Ah crud.  I thought animal sounds counted as words. This reduces her word list even more.]

The nurse leaves.  While we're waiting for the doctor I quiz Julia to make sure we're solid on things.

Me: Julia, where's your eye?

Julia points to her ear.

Me, panicking: No, Juje, that's your ear.  Ear.  Here's your eye.  Eye.  Good girl!

Anyway, the doctor comes in, we go over some of the same questions.  He asks some new ones like, "Is she stacking blocks?" to which I answer, "No, she only knocks them down."

Finally, bless his heart, he says, "Well, all kids progress at their own rate.  I think she's just fine, and that pretty soon she'll have a spurt.  If not, call me and we'll get her an appointment with a developmental pediatrician."

I wanted to hug him.  I had told myself before the appointment, "If they'll just give me a few months to finish Damon's room and the downstairs bathroom, I'll do whatever therapy she needs come spring. Summer would be even better.  Please, just give me a few months!"  Wish granted. 

If you are calling me names right now for being a bad mom, you are hereby banished from this blog.  I am not kidding.  Don't come back.  Unless you afterwards do extensive therapy with one or more of your children, learn your lesson, and are coming back to repent of your wicked thoughts. Amen.

2 comments:

alison said...

I also love a pediatrician that isn't too hasty to diagnose, test or prescribe. I was thinking Peter was a little slow because he wasn't talking at 18 months. Now he's 23 months and gabbing up a storm; he even tells the dog to shut up. :/

KFoxL said...

Speaking from experience, I agree whole-heartedly with this pediatrician and with you. Good job.