Friday, September 26, 2014

quick update

We're in our house.  After scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing it is finally decently clean, except for the air we breath.  I thought the carpet and duct cleaning had gotten rid of the smell, but it turns out we have just gotten used to it (cringe).  I went to St. George for a quick girls' weekend (my abs still hurt from laughing so hard.  If you're not a girl in my family, feel jealous) and when I got back, there was that stench I thought we'd vanquished, strong as ever.  Big depressed sigh. 

Looks like we'll need to replace the carpets and paint sooner than I thought.  I have proved wrong that saying President Monson likes: "I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to somebody's need made me blind.  But I never have yet, felt a tinge of regret, for being a little too kind." During the final walk-through--you know, your last chance to back out of the house before you sign your name in blood for it, all I thought was Gee, what a great house.  It's a little dirty, but that's no problem.  We'll get it cleaned up in no time.  That old man did the best he could.  He probably felt like a hero just getting all of his stuff out.  It would hurt his feelings if we complained.  Three days of deep cleaning later, the end still not in sight, you better believe I was cursing myself.  Charlotte, you should have asked for $1000 from that geezer to compensate for the state of this house!  Brimhall was right: you see the world through rose-colored glasses, and now you're paying the price!  Idiot!  And he took the mirrors out of the bathrooms! Could you not have noticted that before it was too late?!  Now you have to buy new mirrors, and those are not cheap! Fool!  $#!%!

On the bright side: the kids are in good schools.  Even Anne is warming up to Kansas.  She hasn't cried since Monday for Michigan.  We're also in a good ward with a promising book group.  I've only been to one meeting, but I sense some kindred spirits there.

Back to the not-so-bright side: I just got our water bill.  I haven't gotten out the calculator and Michigan bills yet to compare and confirm, but I think water is 3x more expensive here.  I might have to switch to bathing every other day and join the house in stinkiness.  These old toilets that never clog because they empty a small pond every time you flush are gonna have to go, too. 


6 comments:

Scottfunkel said...

Don't get rid of the high flow toilets. Hank Hill did one time and ended up regretting it.

LD said...

I'm going to agree with Scott. You'll regret it when I come to visit.

KFoxL said...

We moved over the summer and every day I have new feelings of resentment (fine, rage) to conquer. The smells. The stains. The broken stuff. High-flow toilets. Gross discoveries. Moving into a not-new-house sucks IMO.

Wendi said...

Your angst, and a good bowl of cheerios made my morning. I hope you can get rid of the smells! That would most likely me make me sell the place.

Polly J said...

Charlotte, good to read your blog. The smells may be in the glue under the carpet. You might try a good steam cleaning before you go after the glue. Miss you! Polly Jenson

Polly J said...

Charlotte, good to read your blog. The smells may be in the glue under the carpet. You might try a good steam cleaning before you go after the glue. Miss you! Polly Jenson