Sunday, April 1, 2012

love thy neighbor

How would you feel if you lived in a neighborhood where people take pride in their homes and yards...


and one of your neighbors put a hideous vegetable garden in their front yard that assaulted your eyes every time you stepped out your front door?


I am that neighbor, and I'm very ashamed. But I REALLY wanted a garden and some blueberry bushes. Unfortunately there was only one spot in our yard that got enough sun (curse our neighbor's trees!). And there are a lot of rabbits here which have already decimated my pink lemonade blueberry plant, so what choice did I have but chicken wire?


Maybe $4.20/gallon gasoline will make my neighbors feel more kindly toward my garden when they can't afford to go to the grocery store for fresh produce and I give them some peas.


Or maybe Jake will fork out $1500 for trees and shrubs to hide the garden from view.


Or maybe there will suddenly be a surplus of rabbit pie and rabbit fur-lined gloves in the area, and I won't need chicken wire anymore.

5 comments:

Phoebe said...

First off, your neighborhood is beautiful.
The funny thing is that here in Portland, everyone grows their gardens wherever they can find sun, since it is in such a limited quantity here. SO they have them right up against the sidewalk or even the street, in containers, next to the walkways and porches- anything goes!
In comparison, I think yours looks discreet!

Charlotte said...

Phoebe, why can't I find your blog anymore? Have you gone private? Help!

KFoxL said...

I am really glad you were the neighbor because I felt bad about the comment I was about to leave, which was, "there is no such thing as a hideous vegetable garden, period."

cat said...

I think it's safe to say that Jake won't be forking out any dough. But rabbit pie...mmmm. Now there's a solution! ;) I'm jealous, Charlotte. I want a garden!

Ayda Made Us said...

Lovely garden, and the fact that you can grow blueberries is awesome!
I'm still a little hung up on the $4.20 gas... WHAT!?
And I think it is hilarious that Anne wants to change her name to Jessica!