Tuesday, May 11, 2010

blah, blah, blah plus successes and failures

My dad says the word "vegan" gives him a stomach ache, so I'm not going to use it anymore. Instead, I'll say "eating healthier." Really, I'll never be v****, because I don't think it's necessary to completely eliminate animal protien from your diet. For one thing, plants don't have vitamin B12, which is essential. That's why we'll always eat beef--good source of B12 and good things like iron, and I have a really good, inexpensive source of it ;-)

Furthermore, in the China Study, they refer to this rat experiment where half the rats were fed a diet that was 20% animal protien, half were fed 5% animal protien, and they were all injected with a toxin that induces cancer. All of the rats on the 20% diet got cancer, none of the 5% rats got it. So, the 5 percenters didn't have to be v**** to be healthy, just 'eat but very little meat,' like Eliza R. Snow said.

So, here's how eating went down last week with the help of my new cookbook, V****omicon:

Damon stopped crying because we don't have any real milk, but he's still not happy about it, and doesn't eat cereal anymore because soy/almond milk taste funny.

Claire finally tried almond milk and likes it! I was afraid she'd never eat cereal again. (I love cereal--my mom was a saint for making us a hot breakfast every morning, but I can't handle that much cooking. Getting one meal on the table a day that's not peanut butter sandwiches makes me a hero in my own mind.)

Anne is an eating angel. She tries almost everything I make (even the eggplant dip!) and often likes it (even the eggplant dip!). Bless her little heart.

Here are some of the recipes we tried and how we liked them:

Broccoli-Potato Soup with Fresh Herbs, page 138--yuck. No one liked it, even though I tried to salvage it by adding cheese. It calls for mint, which is just a weird herb for potato soup in our opinion. Plus, we're used to potato broccoli soups with butter/milk/cream/all three, so it's hard for a v**** soup to compare.

Mexian Millet, page 118--My brother Lex even thought this one was all right, and had two helpings.

Nachos with refried beans, guacamole, and cheese (will we ever be able to live without cheese?)--the only 100% successful meal of the week. Don't need a cookbook for that one.

Pumpkin baked pasta with carmelized onion--I thought it was delicious, Jake thought it was weird, the kids wouldn't touch it. First thing I've ever made with tofu that tasted good. But no one else liked it, so I'll probably never make it again.

Potato and Mushroom Blintzes--not bad, but WAY too labor intensive. If I'm going to spend that much time making something, it better be fantastic. It wasn't. And soymilk gives a strange flavor to crepes, in case you care to know. And I ruined the mushroom gravy that was supposed to go on top. Apparently apple cider vinegar is a poor substitute for white wine. Be quiet. Don't look at me that way. I'm sure you do stupid things, too, sometimes. Claire ate the crepe part, Damon hated the crepe part and wouldn't try the filling, Anne (whom I thought was my best eater) wouldn't try it at all.

So, there you have it. It's been a rough week due to some other things going on in our lives, and I'm wiped out. If things don't improve dramatically next week, I might consider bagging this new diet, or at least get milk for Damon.

If you've stuck with me this far, you must have too much time on your hands.

11 comments:

Scottfunkel said...

I read the whole thing Charlotte. I'm also guilty of producing long blog posts. But is it really worth eating miserably for the fifty or so years that you have remaining for a chance that you MIGHT live a year or two longer? I'd rather have my milk, cheese, and beef.

Marianne & Clayton said...

This may void the whole point of your new lifestyle, but here is a link I share with all of my vegan/allergy friends. Usually too much sugar or salt, and none of it covers gluten, but a lot of it is still interesting. Hang in there!

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Practical/Health/I%20Can%27t%20Believe%20It%27s%20Vegan!.htm

Ok, that link is really clunky. Just google "surprisingly vegan" and it is the first link available.

Jamie said...

AHHHH....I just devoured Mexican food with shredded beef galore but my friend Jennie says I need to read this book. I am afraid...very afraid. Because then I know I'll have to become vegan. Wah. I love cheese.

Charlotte said...

Well, Scotty, I'm expecting more than a few extra years: I better walk and not be weary, run and not faint, and the destroying angel better pass over me and mine.

On top of that, milk and sugar give me sever acne. It's humiliating and probably more motivating than being healthy.

Marianne, thanks for the link, but yes, that does void the whole point. Plus, it's associated with PETA, which is almost the same as being associated with Satan.

Jamie, don't read The China Study. Just eat more fruits and vegetables and call it good. Don't ruin your life.

Wendi said...

I'm not quite sure what to say at this point. Sometimes you make me feel guilty for not trying harder to eat better. But most of the time not enough to do much about it. I love fruits and veggies so I guess I'll call it good. Now if you could tell me how to get rid of my near daily headaches maybe I'd think about a change.

Charlotte said...

Darn it, Wendi, if I had a cure for headaches, I'd sure pass it along. Have you googled it? That's how Jake finds cures for what ails him.

DocMisty said...

Too funny. I actually flipped open to the soups two days ago and made the same soup! Tim gave it a 100, while the other kids were so-so with it and mostly ate it. I thought it was good, but a bit too much work. I don't like having to add something every few minutes.

It takes some time for taste buds to adjust, and our pickiest eater is still reluctant. Here's how we train those kiddy taste buds: We have a tablespoon rule - eat a small scoop of what's been made and then you can go make something else for yourself if you like. Funny thing is every now and then, they'll suddenly start liking a food they hated before.

Our easiest meals are: a vegan chili - dump it all in the crock pot in the morning. Spaghetti with lots of mushrooms or some kind of soy crumble. Pancakes! French toast - blend tofu with soy milk and cinammon, works just like eggs, and all Mexican food - avocado, olives, beans, rice, tomato, etc., and you don't miss the meat and cheese so much.

Good luck!

germanjules said...

i didn't know that so many of us from this little midwest town would be going vegan! thanks for the clever report, i'll be staying better tuned for what recipes to steer clear of...and i'm glad to hear that you feed your kids cereal...it makes me feel better

TiffaniS said...

Charlotte, I follow your blog and just haven't known what to say about all this vegan...??? Keep posting because I am so interested on how you pull it off and how it is going with your family. You're a good Mom, always wanting to do what is best for your little ones. They're blessed to have you. Love ya!

Unknown said...

Hey there Charlotte! My computer recently received and overhaul and I lost my blog addresses so I've been disconnected. I'm just catching up on the family. Good luck with the Vegan thing. It sounds complicated. Can't wait to hear more about it at the reunion. See you next week! Love ya!

Jamie said...

You're funny. I think I would like your dad too.

I admit I skimmed a little at the end but even your ramblings are funny.