Thursday, October 19, 2023

Freak of Nature

Good news: no students ask if I'm a boy or a girl anymore. A kindergartner did call me "Mr." this week, but overall I'm making progress on the gender issue.

A kindergartner also made me aware my wrist bone is a bit unusual: I had the kids sitting on the floor while I taught them about internet safety or something, when a little boy pointed at me and said,

"What's that?"

"What's what?"

"That bump."

I realized he was pointing at my wrist. "It's my wrist bone."

"Why does it stick out like that?"

"I don't know. It just does."

"Does it hurt?"

"No. Let's get back to--"

"Can I touch it?"

"No. Back to..." And I finished my brief lesson, then sent the kids to their computers, where I had to help the aforementioned child with signing in. As I typed his password, he pressed repeatedly on my wrist bone, and we repeated the above dialogue.

The following week, we went through the above experience again in the same class but with more children chiming in on the strangeness of my wrist, but I'm happy to report no one has brought up my freakishness for the past two weeks.

As you can imagine, I have been paying more attention to people's wrists of late, and I must admit mine is odd. But I assure you it doesn't hurt and has never bothered me before now.



No comments: