Thursday, November 21, 2013

Oscar Wilde Lives Again and The Wizard of Oz


Anne gave Jake a makeover last Saturday.  I think the photo speaks for itself.

Then she and I went to Portage Northern High School's production of The Wizard of Oz.  Damon and Claire decided not to go because the play went from 8-11 p.m.  They didn't want to stay up past their bedtime.  I'm  not kidding.  Claire routinely stays up until 11:00 and I pointed this out to her.  Still didn't think it was a good idea.  (She was awake when Anne and I got home, BTW.)

The show put me in culture shock.  I co-starred in my high school musical, and Portage Northern's production made my high school's production (not the Wizard of Oz.  I think it was an Indiana Jones spoof) look like a group of 5-yr-old's putting on a play in a garage.

Wait for i-i-i-i-i-i-t..............I don't think we're in Malad anymore, Toto.

If the costumes, set, and pyrotechnics cost less than $10,000 I'll eat Anne's ruby slippers (which of course she wore to the play).  And then the acting, the singing, the dancing, the live orchestra!!!!!  It might have rivaled Broadway's The Phantom of the Opera--it's hard to say, because I saw that a long time ago and I was so far from the stage I couldn't actually see it except for a few seconds when someone loaned me their binoculars.  At PNHS Anne and I were so close to Oz the Great and Powerful the blasts of fire almost singed our eyebrows.  Not really, but it was hot.  Thank you, Portage Northern, for a great time. 

No comments: