Tuesday, December 11, 2012

From Our Family to Yours

If you were our neighbor, you might have been getting homemade vinegar taffy from us for Christmas.  The kids and I made some last night.  The kids are naturals at pulling taffy.  Theirs turned out better than mine.  My Grandma Barbara would have been proud.

Vinegar Taffy
2 C sugar
1/2 c white vinegar
1/2 c water

Butter two pie tins.  Sprinkle cocoa in pie tin if desired.  Put a foot or two of wax paper on the counter top.

Cook fast to cracking stage or 270 degrees (the pros don't use a thermometer.  I do.)

Divide between the two pie tins.  Butter your hands.  When the taffy has cooled just enough to handle, start pulling.  It should still be hot enough that your hands are almost getting burned.  (I wore rubber gloves because I hate burning my hands, but that presented its own difficulties.)  If you want to add peanut butter, this is the time to do it.  Pull as long as you can, then lay out on wax paper to harden.  Score with a knife to make breaking easier.  Enjoy!





No comments: